Chief Pathologist Opportunity in New York City!
Veterans Health Administration
423 E 23rd St
New York, NY 10010
The New York City Veterans Affairs Medical Center is looking for a Chief Pathologist to provide administrative, clinical & programmatic leadership for the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service (PLMS). We are an integrated system consisting of three campuses located in the East Side of Manhattan; in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn; and in St. Albans, Queens, along with several outlying clinics. The Chief Pathologist will have offices in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
You will be an integral part of the leadership team of the Medical Center, ensuring practice-based learning and improvement, demonstrating ability to use scientific evidence and methods to investigate, evaluate and improve patient care and delivery of Pathology and Laboratory services. The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills and behaviors that reflect a commitment to continuous professional development, ethical practice, understanding and sensitivity to diversity and a responsible attitude toward their patients and profession. The successful candidate demonstrates an understanding of the contexts and systems in which health care is provided as well as the ability to apply that knowledge to improve and optimize health care. Duties include:
• Provide administrative, clinical, and programmatic leadership for the PLMS to ensure achievement of the clinical, research, and education goals and applicable performance measures.
• Accountable for the delivery of all health care by the PLMS staff.
• Develop a plan for the delivery of health services to patients and assessing that those health care services are consistent with policies and guidelines.
• Establish an environment within the service that promotes optimum patient care.
• Participate in top-level decision making and policy design that impacts on PLMS through collaboration with Medical Center leadership.
• Direct health care programs, delegating authority, and responsibility to meet both the medical center and service goals.
• Plan and manage department budget and fiscal resources.
Board certification in Anatomic & Clinical Pathology is required; competency in clinical lab component required; must be able to secure faculty appointment at the Associate or Professor level at educational affiliates (NYU and SUNY Downstate at Brooklyn); five years of participation as an active faculty member in an ACGME - accredited pathology residency program required; hospital laboratory leadership exp. required; skills to pass CAP inspection required; successful regulatory exp. preferred.
Significant accomplishments in clinical practice, educational activities, research or administration which clearly distinguish the physician as having the highest professional qualifications in the specialty area to which assigned, such as:
Past or present faculty appointment at the professional level in an approved medical school, or
(b) Significant & unusual professional accomplishment such as:
1. Publication of articles in nationally recognized professional journals, or
2. Officer in a State or National professional medical organization, or
3. Directorship of a hospital or large clinic
Annual performance bonus up to an additional 7.5% of pay
Guaranteed salary increases
Licensure: 1 Full & unrestricted license from any US State permits you to work at VA
CME: $1,000 per year stipend for reimbursement
Malpractice: Liability protection with tail coverage provided
No employment contract
26 Days paid vacation per year
13 Days paid sick leave per year with unlimited carry over
10 Federal holidays with pay
Possible 5 Days paid absence to attend CME
Federal Retirement Plan
Separate 401K with partial agency match
Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
VA physicians practice medicine more and spend less time on business tasks. Enjoy an environment that supports an interdisciplinary care team approach that delivers state-of-the-art medicine using some of the most advanced medical techniques and technologies in the Nation. Plus, VA offers an unparalleled variety of practice options in research, academia, and administration. VA ensures and encourages a healthy work/life balance through predictable scheduling, reduced paperwork, the elimination of billing hassles, and lifting the burden of liability coverage.
If interested, please e-mail me your CV and we can speak further.